First recipe, hope you like!
So last night I had to improvise dinner, which I generally suck at. When I cook a meal I usually end up planning it and shopping for it. My mum was heaps busy with god knows what, and my dad doesn’t really cook so it became my responsibility, and I rose to the occasion.
I looked in the fridge and the things that stood out were a packet of baby spinach, some bread rolls that mum had lifted from her office the day before, some herb pastes, some mayo and a large amount of Sriracha chilli sauce, and I was told there were chicken breasts in the freezer. I defrosted those bad boys, got to work and this was the result. Not bad at all.
For those who’ve never seen or tried it before, Sriracha is a hot chilli sauce made from chilli paste, distilled vinegar, garlic sugar and salt. It’s become a very popular, almost ‘iconic’ sauce among those who crave heat and can be used to supercharge just about any Asian dish. It’s used by many fast food/chain restaurants such as Schnitz to create spicy mayo, which is what I’ve done here.
My parents and I love spicy food and they particularly love asian flavours, so this went down a treat. Also, I’m no nutritionist, but I’m sure these burgers would qualify as pretty healthy.
Here’s what you need for four burgers:
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 tbsp chives – either paste or fresh finely chopped
- 1 tsp mint – same deal
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime – juice
- approx 100g baby spinach – instead of lettuce, I love it so I used more
- 1 small onion (you probably won’t need all of it)
- 4 bread rolls
- 2 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 1 tbsp Sri Racha chilli sauce
Here’s the how:
- Flatten the two fillets of chicken to about 1 inch thick with a mallet or rolling pin. Place the chicken between two sheets of baking paper before flattening to make cleaning up easier. Once flat, cut the chicken into smaller pieces, about the size of the buns you’re using.
- Chuck the chicken in a bowl with the olive oil, chives, mint, lime juice and some salt. Mix it all up so the chicken is coated with everything. Let it sit for a couple of minutes so the lime gets all up in there.
- Get a pan on the stove at medium heat. Place the chicken inside and let it cook for about 7 mins on each side. Obviously you don’t wanna let it burn, but let it get a tiny bit dark on each side to give it that ‘gnarly’ taste (to borrow a Jamie Oliver word haha). If you can use a BBQ, that’s even better. Definitely do that instead.
- While the chicken is on, grab an onion and slice into thin rings.
- Then, make the super easy spicy mayo – just whisk the mayo, milk and sauce together. The milk makes it a bit thinner, so that it’s almost like a dressing.
- Once the chicken is done, let it sit for about 2 mins, then assemble the burger. Mine was like this: bun*, spinach, onion, chicken, sauce and then a sprinkling of really finely chopped hot red chillies on top for extra heat (optional of course) then top bun.
*A lightly toasted bun would be even better: after you cut the bun open, butter the inside, then place it on a flat pan on light heat for couple of minutes until golden. I didn’t have time for this yesterday and I regret it.